Friday 20 April 2012

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?



When producing my media product (The Film trailer, The Film Poster and the Film Magazine), I had to ensure that they were all linked, or had close similarities between them. This was so that they were all related and shared the same themes. It wouldn’t be good if the trailer was different to the film poster, because the audience could be mislead as to what the film is really about, or they may change their minds about going to see the movie.

My film trailer shared similar codes and conventions with the magazine and the poster. The Production Company ‘Sharp Productions’ is continuous throughout the trailer and the film poster. In the trailer, the first clip is the Sharp Productions clip. The production company is then mentioned again at the end of the trailer, where it shows the credits. In the film poster, the Sharp Productions is also written in the credits at the bottom of the film poster is very small font. All film posters have this, they credit the producers, the production companies and the main actors.

'Sharp Productions' appears in both the trailer and the film poster. This shows the link between both texts.





The Genre of my film trailer was horror, so I also had to make sure that my Film Poster and Magazines Front cover matched the same horror forms and conventions as my film trailer. I used very dark colours in my poster, with just part of the face of the main character showing. A close up of her red bloody eye and a reflection of a hand creates a very effective horror atmosphere. The text I used for the title of the film in the poster also works well because I used a special brush in Photoshop that I downloaded of the internet. The brush tool had a blood splatter effect that I added, which allowed me to create realistic blood drips and splatters. Although the film trailer doesn’t show any blood, it is still an icon of horror. Almost every horror film contains blood, which make the poster effective and relates it to the genre of the trailer.

I think the link between the magazine front cover and the film poster/trailer could be improved. This is because i used a different font and style in the film title on the magazine front cover. I should have used the same font and style throughout all three pieces of media texts. Films usually have their own unique font style for their posters and DVD covers ect..




No comments:

Post a Comment